Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Facing the Wound


There are times I feel like my heart is screaming and I wonder if anyone can hear it???

Thoreau said: "The masses of humanity live lives of quiet desperation".

Many people walk around in a constant state of pain...not physically but emotionally! They are torn up inside...their heart is screaming, pleading for someone to listen, who will care. I meet people so wounded inside it's a wonder they function on a daily basis. I was once once one of these people. I struggledwith suicide, depression, and panic attacks. I wasn't living I was just functioning...I lived my life like a robot! It just came apart of life I didn't know any other way. It just became something I lived with and figured there was no way out. My Pastor once told me and I thought it was awsome, he said "People learn to normalize pain"...how true is that? How many times do we not face our real pain? We don't go to the root of our problem!!! We don't face the wound or pain (either inflicted by ourselves or others) we just shove it and stuff it!!! We walk around with this crap inside for years!!! It festers and the infection of it grows over the years and we don't even recognize it!!! We just keep stuffing the pain and never face it! As a culture we are afraid of pain or discomfort!!! We do anything to avoid it... we cover it up with distractions (tv, computer, x-box, phone, etc)

We go to a doctor when we are sick but never go to the one who can really heal us on the inside when we are dying on the inside..

"There are more people walking around the communities of America that are more wounded on the inside than they are on the outside" - Pastor Michael

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because I am marked out by him to give good news to the poor, he has sent me to make well those who are broken hearted; to say that the prisoners will be let go, and the blind will see, and to make the wounded free from their chains" - Luke 4:18

I think a lot of our problem is not that we feel the pain but that we don't face it! We are to scared to face the wound, to face our true selves! It's scary to face it but it is necssary!

"What was laid down in pain can only be accessed in pain" - Pastor Michael
"God opens the wound he doesn't put a band-aid on it" - Pastor Michael

But I also think there is another level...there are people who face "Their demons"...allow God in to heal those areas. We go through desert seasons where it feels like God just isnt there! Horrible things happen....people we love get sick, sometimes there is a death, sometimes we are so lonely we can't stand it....and we wonder where is God? Has he abandoned us? Is he who he really said he is?

It's during these times that God builds the most character in us, this is where our Faith is increased, this is the place where we find what we are made of, it's in the desert season you find out whether you were following God cause you love him or are you following him because of what he gives you? It's in this place the disciple inside of you is born and cultivated! What Iv'e noticed (not just speaking to other's I'm talking to myself here) is that we can tend to throw pity parties for ourselves...There is a proper time for grieving...whether if there is a lost of a loved one or a relationship (talking to myself since I just ended one that meant a lot to me) but then there is time to get up and move on...we can't live in the same place forever...it is so easy to get consumed with our own problems and feelings we almost become narcissist's...we can't see past ourselves.

"There is a time to grieve and then there's a time to quit nursing your wounds" - Joyce Meyers

"Quit feeling sorry for yourself and serve somebody, somewhere somebody is hurting worse than you"- Joyce Meyers

When I heard her say that I was floored!!! I nurse my wounds all the time, I sit around crying feeling sorry for myself...and I have been doing that a lot since my recent relationship ended....I'm thinking it's time for me to quit nursing the pain, get up and go do something for someone else!!!

Love you all!!! Be blessed

2 comments:

  1. My husband was abused and we believe, possibly even molested as a child, by step fathers.
    We've been married 22 years now and after his real father died 5 years ago, the pain of this all surfaced and began to manifest in our marriage and our family.
    It has made my husband turn to drugs to self medicate.
    You are so right on about not facing the pain.
    Ive been in counseling for 5 years in order to learn why my husband is behaving the way he is, sometimes so mean and hateful and abusive toward us.
    I've tried desperately to help him, to lead him back to God, the only One who can truly set him free again.
    I SEE the pain in his eyes and i feel it in his soul.
    I feel so sad for him, yet i cannot stay in the abuse and dysfunction of his.
    I cannot live there and allow his old "normal" to be mine and to be the target of his anger that belongs on someone else.
    We are separated now and yet we still do everything together with our adult kids and grandson.
    I know that he loves me and desperately needs me b/c he knows i understand his pain.
    I don't want to abandon him, yet i cannot live in his dysfunction.
    This is very difficult for me.
    It is good to read your posts and better understand this pain that Darin so desperately struggles with.
    I may even read this to him and hope that he will see that we all have struggles and darkness in our lives that we can overcome.
    He was such a different person for 16 years of our lives.
    But i see now that it wasn't because he was healed.
    He was simply stuffing the pain.
    I do pray that he will run to the Counselor again.
    I see that he is so full of shame though, for the things he has done now, and possibly for what he was blamed for as a child.
    My heart breaks for him.
    Thank you for sharing your heart.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You so much for sharing your heart!!!! Im sorry that I am just now seeing this!!! I hope things have gotten better??????

    ReplyDelete